About 5 and a half years ago I walked out of the high school as a little terrified freshman. As I walked, I avoided eye contact, shuffling through the cute senior guys, the drill team members, and all other upper-classmen. I had one goal in mind and it was to make it to my destination safely and with my dignity still surrounding me. I slowly started to raise my gaze up to eye level and as I did, I was greeted with a sight that would continue to greet me for the next four years and I wish for for the rest of my schooling and possibly my life.
There standing at the doorway, were three men who will always hold a special place in my heart. Those three men taught me so much about myself, the gospel, my friends, and they helped to build my testimony.
One of those men had a tremendous role in my growth and many of the experiences that I had during highschool and have had since graduation. Brother Sutorius has touched so many lives in the many years that he has taught. He taught my mom and all of her sisters, he taught all of my friends, he taught me, and all of my classmates.
My senior year, Bro. S. had surgery and left us with subs for the last month or so of school. I had a hard time knowing that he wouldn't be finishing out the year with the Class of '09. I hoped for the "Forever Young" song sung by the Seminary Teachers for the graduating senior. I had heard it for 3 years before, and it was one of those things that I was looking forward to. It was finally my turn for the song, and it was no longer there for me.
We didn't know if he would be able to make it to graduation, but when he showed up and sat on the front row, I had to hold back tears. I was so excited see him there that I felt an extra sense of confidence in the whole graduating-growing up aspect of life. As I accepted my diploma, I took an extra trip down the steps to shake his hand for one last time as his student.
I continued my education down to SUU and while taking institute there I couldn't help but wish for my seminary teachers. I absolutely loved Sister Cox, but somehow the building did not feel complete without Brother Sutorius, Brother Williams, and Brother Smith.
With my decision to transfer school came the issue of getting acquainted with yet another CES building and faculty. Before classes started I was assuming my "home-town-hero" role and supporting Juab Wasps Football. Hearing Brother Sutorius over the loud-speaker made me want to have another opportunity to take a class from him.
I knew Bro. S., was planning on teaching a semester of institute before he retired. After his complications with his knee, I figured this was no longer the plan. After the game, I caught up with him. He asked for an update on my life and then he started to tell me he was teaching for the Fall at UVU. Excitement overwhelmed me, and the second I got home I enrolled for his class.
Tomorrow I will walk in and listen to one final lesson given by this amazing man. It has been such a blessing to have him as my teacher for another year (semester). I hear all of my classmates talk about how great of a guy and teacher he is. And I feel honored that I was able to have him as my seminary teacher as well as my institute teacher.
The four years of high school, as I walked to the building I heard the same few phrases. My favorite ones were "Hurry-up Mormons!" and the great melody of the three men singing "Forever Young" just for me. Just last week as I walked into class, Bro. Sutorius began to sing "Forever Young" again. I just stopped to listen and take it in knowing it will probably be the last time he sings it to me.
I have been blessed with the great opportunity of having this man teach me and guide me throughout the years that have really shaped what my future will turn out to be. I will look forward to seeing Bro. Sutorius at ball games, and hearing his voice as he announces the football games.
Sig Fig Rules Multiplication
2 years ago
This is great. You need to let him know how appreciative you are to him.
ReplyDeleteTalysha, you're an awesome writer! I'm with you're mom, you need to send him a copy. I know it would mean a lot to him.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great man! This post made me miss seminary.
ReplyDelete